With Lubbock and the South Plains recently hit by severe weather, the Better Business Bureau is reminding residents to take precautions when hiring a roofer to fix hail damage.
In a press release, the BBB provided the following tips for homeowners with roof damage after storms like the one in Lubbock on Monday, May 17:
- Check with your insurance company about policy coverage and specific submission requirements. Keep all receipts if temporary roof repairs are needed.
- Don’t be pressured to make an immediate decision with long-term impact
- Take the time to look around and get 3-4 estimates based on the same specifications and materials.
- Be tired of door-to-door workers who claim to have scraps of material from a nearby job or who don’t have a fixed workplace.
- Be on the lookout for employees who tell you that your home is unsafe.
- Require a written contract with everyone you hire.
The BBB says that if you’re looking for multiple estimates and one seems significantly lower than the other, it’s probably too good to be true. These contractors are often uninsured and use substandard materials. Some contracts also have a clause requiring high cancellation fees or liquidation damages if you decide not to use the contractor after the insurance has approved the claim.
Questions or complaints about specific companies can be directed to the BBB at 806-763-0459, [email protected] or at BBB.org.
Photos of tornado and wall clouds from Monday 17 May 2021
18 Interesting NFL Games That Lubbock Will Be Begging For
That’s right an NFL game from every week of the season you want to watch.
Some weeks better than others.
Comments are closed.